Monday, December 20, 2004

Subtitled in..

It seems that foreign language films have featured pretty heavily on my viewing choices recently.
After the frustrating non-end to the Danish The Kingdom, I followed it up with Luc Besson's La Femme Nikita on Saturday evening. It was the first time I'd seen it - though I have watched the remake (The Assassin avec Bridget Fonda)
quite a few times. The original is, of course, far superior to the remake with exception of Gabriel Byrne who makes a more enigmatic Bob.

Last night I moved to a somewhat more obscure film directed by Jan Svankmajer (Czech) called Little Otik. Now this film was weird.
A similar kind of story to Pinnochio, the film is based on a story about a couple who are infertile but really want a baby. The guy digs up a tree stump which looks a bit like a baby and prunes it down to make arms and legs... It's less of a live action film than an animation with live action scenes - the stop motion sequences give the whole film a deliciously grotesque 'underground film' kind of feel.
I am definitely going to look up some of Svankmajer's other films.

On the opposite scale, I also revisited my childhood by watching a few episodes of Dungeons and Dragons, and Bananaman. They were bad. Especially Bananaman. Good grief, if I had only realised as a child just how camp he was. Still, there's a lesson to be learnt in that as an adult, you should never try to ressurect your childhood - leave them as fond memories! You'll never be able to work out jus t
why you used to love Angel Delight (artificial gunge posing as mousse), Rainbow (smutty kids program full of sexual innuendoes), and Global Hypercolour T-Shirts (which just highlighted how sweaty you were)

No comments: