Thursday, December 23, 2004

2 days and counting

My worldly colleagues explained the 'Wingman' principle to me last night. I guess it could also be called the 'pack pulling' technique. I was rewarded later by not only seeing this technique in action, but by actually experiencing it first-hand.

The principle is simple. Guys pull in pairs, one guy acts as 'wingman' and diverts the attention of the the girl accompanying the 'victim' so that his friend can work his magic on the girl he wants to chat up.
It's a noble sacrifice though I suppose it can also be rewarding for the wingman if the friend is attractive.

My own experience was enlightening to say the least. Whilst chatting to two girlfriends who happened to be having their christmas party locally, a smooth talking guy sidles up and starts on one of my friends. Obviously wanting to broaden his chances of success, he attempted to lure me into his web at the same time. Not wanting to be unsociable, we relented and asked his name and profession to be told that his name was Barry and that he was a dancer. Not just any old dancer but 'MC Hammer' no less. Ever the sceptics, we asked for a demonstration and
were very much disappointed by his moves. Minutes later, his 'friend' appears (with a pint) and pretends to prise Barry away. Unsuccessful, he starts to apologise to me on behalf of Barry and introduces himself. At this point I find out that Barry's real name is actually Dave (?!). Busted!
This duo moved on later to another couple of girls but only managed to hold their attention for 5 minutes.
Guys - it pays to show a little honesty!

Whilst waiting for a tube train home, a guy sitting on the same seat as me remarked on the presents I was holding. Amused (and drunk), I described my gifts - one of them being a small jar of sand from the Sahara that my best friend gave me. I expressed curiosity on the colour of the sand as my memories of the Sahara were of grey sand, and not the beautiful yellow sand in the jar that I was holding. This guy, who was also drunk, told me that he had read recently in a book that the climatic changes in the desert meant that the colour of the sand could change,
and also told me that apparently sand can hold water which means that it is possible for plants to grow seasonally. I haven't as yet verified the facts that he told me but it was kind of surreal to have this kind of conversation when both parties are drunk. We had a further chat on the train about the evolution of men versus animals
and how life boils down to simple binary logic. I never found out this guys name, (although he told me all his children's names), but nevertheless I wish him a very happy Christmas and New Year.

No comments: