Thursday, June 16, 2005

Guestblog

Today's Guestblogger is: Howard my Aeron chair.

Howard says:

"Life as an aeron chair is a mixed bag. I'm generally happy with my lot but there are days when I wish that I could trade places with the confidential paper bin, or perhaps the emergency exit sign. It's nice to have your own place. Some days I find myself all over the place, it's really quite unnerving and disorienting.

Still, I can't complain too much. There are definitely those worse off than me. At least my current occupant is lightweighted and not too abusive. Adam the aeron chair behind me is not quite so lucky. His occupant throws him around, wears out his fibres from the weight strain and can emit the most noxious vapours. The only thing I can really complain about is the fact that I have to stoop all the time as my occupant has incredibly short legs.

The greatest thing about being an aeron chair (aside from the obvious fact that aeron chairs are like the Rolls Royce of office chairs) is that in this office, people are very protective of their aeron chair. There is a breed of inferior 'standard' office chair that are widely scorned, particularly by IT staff. Having been stationed next to Stacy (a fine specimen of the standard blue office chair) for the last couple of months, I have heard countless stories of chair-trading and chair neglect. Urban legends are rife. For instance, apparently one chair was so badly tormented by being left out in the atrium (meeting rooms populated by lush leather seats) he self-mutilated himself with staples and scissors and eventually committed chair suicide by stationing himself in a particular senior manager's office. Every hinge and screw was warped beyond repair afterwards..

Anyhow, there are fine times to be had yet - especially as Stacy has recently moved on and been replaced by Lucinda, a total temptress of an aeron. I can see some interesting nights coming on..."

No comments: