Thursday, April 14, 2005

eliza revisited

I've just thought of an idea. I don't know if it has been done before but here it is anyway.

I was feeling somewhat pissed off a minute ago - the direct result of a conversation that probably didn't go as intended. So I'm sat here at my desk at work thinking, that didn't have to happen.The conversation could have gone a different, better way.

My thoughts moved onto how people should try to be a little less reactive and think a little more carefully about the things that they say and the way they approach a problem. There are times when one should take a more forceful approach and others when persuasion is more ideal.
This led me to think about RPGs. I love playing RPGs, you lead one or more characters through a highly involved plot and your characters have to interact with other AI characters as you go along. In game conversation, you usually have a choice of replies. Depending on your reply, the character would react in a different way. Much like real life.

There are lots of people out there who aren't great at human interaction. So perhaps someone should write a game as an educational tool to help people improve that. I can even think of loads of good use cases where it'd be useful. It'd basically be a psychometric test. Employment vetting agencies could check if potential staff would fit in, police could examine behaviour of suspects, counsellors, teachers and so on.

Damn. Maybe I should write one.

No comments: