Thursday, September 23, 2004

Spot the wild animals

I am now in Banff.

I spent two days aboard the Rocky Mountaineer with only one stopover in Kamloops.
It was a very interesting journey - no effort required aside from eating, sleeping and spotting wild animals. It reminded me a lot of our family car journeys when I was younger, counting number plates to pass the time. Of course, there was a little more camaraderie on the train, with some 35 people in our carriage trying to spot moose at 50mph. I was rudely awakened at one point; "Lindsey, quick, there's a bear!". It turned out to be two black logs.

Yesterday evening we arrived in Banff. Staying in the very plush Banff Springs hotel, with its golf course, spa and numerous shops and restaurants, there is not much to complain about. I took a gondola up Sulphur Mountain today and was overwhelmed by the beautiful vistas at some 9000 ft above sea level.
The town here is picturesque but borderline tacky. Too many shops selling cuddly grizzly bears and fake moose driving license plates. The scenery is spectacular though and it's quite unreal to be walking along with mountains all around.

Tomorrow I am off to lake Louise. There is nothing to do there except stay in the hotel and relax. Can't complain too much about that :)

No comments: