Friday, August 13, 2004

The Dream Queen awakes

I live on dreams.

That delicious moment when your mind begins to regain conciousness and fragments of your dream replay themselves across your closed eyelids. Your dreamstate emotions linger momentarily, frissons of fear, relief, passion, excitement.

What controls my dreams? Is it a subconscious decision the brain makes to prepare oneself for real life? Can it really just be a reflection of fears and desires as the psychologists would have us believe?

Music. I never hear music in my dreams. My dreams are like playing the piano with the una-corda pedal down - muted voices and sound effects. Sometimes I cannot even tell if the characters in my dream are really talking, or if I am just imagining what they are saying inside my head. If I could choose the soundtrack for my dreams, I expect it would be mostly classical and jazz. I'd have Nina Simone for when I'm prisoner in a triad gang war, Bach Minuet in G Minor for when I'm wandering lost in the school I went to as a child and maybe Tchaikovsky's Valse des Fleurs for those moments when I've saved the Universe from certain destruction :)

I saw Derren Brown a few months ago live at the Palace in London. I was suitably impressed with his ability to influence so many people with his subtle (almost smarmy) charm. It makes me wonder - if he can so easily influence peoples' subconciousness whilst they are aware and, you'd have thought, in full control of their rational thoughts, could he do the same for when we fall asleep? Is this what hypnosis is about? And how can you tell if you're hypnotised?

.... Now I can't help thinking about Brave New World ..

No comments: