Sunday, August 22, 2004

Dilemma of a fieldmouse

I've been pondering the best solution to a small problem presented to me recently. To make it more objective, I have converted into a cute little story.

There are two fieldmice, a boy mouse and a girl mouse. Let's call them Timmy and Milly.
Timmy and Milly consider themselves as friends, and get on very well but they don't know each other all that well. Despite this, Milly develops strong feelings for Timmy and thinks about him constantly when they are not together. Timmy, being a typical male, is oblivious to all this.

Milly is faced with a problem. Does she admit her feelings for Timmy and potentially ruin the friendship she has with him, or does she keep them to herself? There is only the most remote possibility that they can get together.

Now being the cynic that I am, I personally believe that Milly would be extremely selfish to confess to Timmy that she likes him. Given the unlikelyhood (did I just make up that word?) of a real relationship between them, there is nothing to be achieved by it apart from Milly easing some of the tension she feels. Their friendship would become more awkward, and maybe even cease to exist.
On the other hand, what if they are the perfect match? What if, by not saying anything they drift apart for some other reason and lose that chance of real love?

If I were a guy then I might be better able to provide the answer. Is friendship or love more important to a guy? Answers on a postcard.

No comments: