Wednesday, August 31, 2005

what dreams may come

My dreams are getting increasingly disturbing of late. Perhaps it's the unusual heatwave we are having, or perhaps I am exhibiting some underlying psychological problems during my sleep.

On Saturday night I had a dream about taxidermy at London Zoo.

On Sunday night I had a dream about the invasion of aliens in the UK. It was very Doctor Who'esque.

On Monday night I had a dream about group fisting. (yes I do mean that kind of fisting) This woke me up in shock and I realised I needed to relieve myself.(obviously I mean peeing) Upon falling asleep again, that dream was followed closely by a dream about an elaborate hoax on me by the company that I work for. It involved my mobile phone being missing, strange stations in the middle of nowhere and people having nails hammered into their foreheads.

Last night I dreamt that I nearly died, twice. The first time I was sitting on a very strange Tube-like train. There were round porthole windows and it was very low so we all had to crouch inside as if we were refugees. We were going past some sort of construction site and I went to make a phonecall, and the second I pressed the button there was an explosion outside. Miraculously, we escaped unscathed.
I'd presumably gotten to my destination as the next thing I know, I am sitting in a very fancy bar with my friend V. We're both knocking back fancy cocktails and trying to ignore the leering stares from some guys sitting on a nearby table. We go to pay, and the bill comes to over £300. On the way outside, I stop and stare up and a huge bit of scaffolding above the doorway. For some reason I am terrified of stepping under it even though lots of people are coming and going with no qualms whatsoever. V motions for me to move along and I do, but the second I step underneath the scaffolding it starts to collapse. V manages to grab my hand and pull me to safety but behind me there are people crushed under a huge pile of metal and wood.

Despite the strange dreams, I haven't had any traumatic experiences to speak of lately. I enjoyed a very relaxing Bank Holiday weekend with my parents in Southend. They live 5 minutes walk from the seafront and it was beautiful sunny weekend. I even went for a 5k training run on Sunday :) Dedicated old me.

Tonight I am off to see Kevin Spacey at the Old Vic in The Philadelphia Story. Let's hope there are no aliens, stuffed animals or tube trains in this play else I'm in trouble again tonight...

1 comment:

Mr. Chips said...

I think dreams are not random, but a way for your unconscious to communicate with you. All your dreams involve attacks of some sort so it is likely there are some issues you need to confront in your life that are pressing through when you sleep. The fact that you have trained quite a bit to run can also be seen as a metaphor.