Wednesday, February 16, 2005

lucidity flashes

It's remarkable how the most insignificant things can make life seem more real.

Examples:

- The lady sat next to me on the tube doing her toilette. Delicate application of eyeshadow, mascara, blusher, the works. Totally oblivious to the rest of the people in the carriage, or perhaps she simply didn't care.

- The lady sat opposite me on the same train - suddenly pulls a ridiculous large book out of a tiny bag. A modern day Mary Poppins.

- The guy this morning downstairs in the canteen. He was waiting in the queue to pay, and he had what looked like a bacon sandwich. As I went past, he suddenly took a huge bite out of the corner of the sandwich. He obviously couldn't wait any longer to eat :)

This reminds me of how you are supposed to train yourself to 'wake up' in a dream. You have to learn to recognise the glitches - events that are out of the ordinary. Apparently, once you master this, you can then control your dream (aka lucid dreaming).

Many years ago, I bought a little gadget that was supposed to help you do this. It was like one of the eye masks but modified with little leds between the eyes. In theory, the mask had sensors to detect when you are in REM sleep - upon which the leds would start to flash in a set pattern. Sadly, though I did experience the flashing leds, I never did manage to get Brad Pitt to come to my house and feed me strawberries and champagne :)

No comments: