Wednesday, January 12, 2005

itadakimasu

I have this amazing passion for japanese food. I love lots of things, with most I can be fickle depending on my mood but I don't think I'd ever get bored of eating japanese food.

I meant to have sushi for lunch today - except the queue was massive and I ended up in this little japanese cafe instead. I bought myself a soba bento and a little box of riceballs (aka onigiri). Soba is so simple, it's just noodles made from buckwheat - you eat it cold dipped in a sauce mixed with wasabi. Though simple, it tastes so good that it practically turns me on :) Even now, some 4 hours from lunch I can still taste the noodles..
I can only be thankful that I live in London because I can indulge myself stupid with japanese food (for a price of course). If you can name it, you can probably have it - somewhere. I dream of vel vety salmon sashimi, indulgent okonomiyaki smothered in bonito fishflakes and japanese brown sauce, prawn tempura fresh from the pan, the delicate flavours of onigiri with salmon filling wrapped in crispy nori, I could go on and on.

I met a replacement sushi partner at the Christmas party (my last one left the company some time ago) - we have a table at Miyabi next week for lunch. The sushi there is truly melt-in-the-mouth. I can hardly wait...

PS itadakimasu is what you traditionally say before eating (kinda means 'thankyou for the food'

No comments: