Saturday, January 22, 2005

the final fight part I

Whilst sitting in a deliciously hot bubble bath contemplating the matters of the world, (that and trying not to get my toe stuck in the bath tap. What is the allure of that anyway?)I wondered who/what would come out on top out of a real battle of survival of the fittest. Now in the event of a nuclear fallout, I guess the winner would probably be the cockroach given it's immunity to radiation.

Let's disregard that scenario. I guess we would then be talking about either an outbreak of disease, or a massive population explosion rendering such a great shift in the balance of things that mayhem would ensue.

The contenders are: humans vs animal kingdom (land, air and water) vs bacteria. Vegetation doesn't count - it's food.
Firstly, I don't think that mankind will win. There is sufficient evidence to suggest that men (and women) are incapable of sharing, or working together sufficiently to preserve the survival of the entire species. However, man will be in the final fight I reckon.

Secondly I would discount any animal that is seabound. Reason being that if they depend on the sea, they aren't any major contender to those who can survive out of it. This is under the assumption that there isn't a Noah's Ark style flood. Which there could be.

Next we eliminate the vegetarians. Rabbits, giraffes and suchlike don't pose much of a threat to anything or anyone.

So we now have humans vs air or land bound carnivores vs bacteria. Now if the battle were down to chance, then the bacteria would probably win, being deadly and indiscriminate. However, bacteria doesn't have much motivation and relies a lot on the conditions it resides in so I don't consider it a real contender either.

Ok so we are down to animals vs humans. The air bound carnivores don't really have much hope as they are mostly loners and are also limited by having to concentrate on flying. Their only real chance of survival is to fly away and hide until the battle is over.

The final round therefore is between meat eating animals that live on land, and humans. Wait, I forgot about insects. Anyway, I want to eliminate humans. Yeah ok, they are highly intelligent, are very resourceful, have weapons and machinery and all that but I think the intelligence factor becomes a liability at this point. You'd have so much debating and protesting that by the time they'd decided to fight back, it would be far too late. And this is after the time it takes for the humans to fall into different camps.

So... in actual fact I think it will be some other predator that will survive in the end.

Hmmm... Ok I'm going to sleep on this one. Not sure yet what the outcome should be. Not pigs.

No comments: