Thursday, September 22, 2005

Me vs Moths - 39 : KO

The mystery of the moth infestation has finally been solved.

On Monday evening, my mum was startled to see a maggot-like creature crawling up one of our kitchen cabinet doors. Upon receiving the SOS, my brother came down to investigate and opened the cabinet to find hundreds of the buggers crawling around the chinese herbs and cashewnuts that my mum stashes away in these cupboards. Moths fluttered out of the cabinet by the dozens. Strange that we had never discovered this before, but we don't have much call to open these cupboards I guess. My poor brother got to work exterminating these moth larvae and prising them out of the joints with a toothpick whilst I sat at my pc blissfully unaware.

Come Tuesday night, I went to cook some rice for dinner and when I went to open the rice cooker, was confronted by a wriggling maggot on top of the cooker. Eek! I squished it with a tissue. Then I saw another, crawling bravely along the tabletop. I squished this one too, and recoiled at the popping noise. It took so long to get that popping noise out of my head..

Anyway, it seems like for weeks the moths have been breeding in that cupboard and nobody realised that it was happening in the kitchen. We all thought that they were flying in from the windows. Since Monday, the house has been somewhat devoid of moths and we are all rather pleased!

No comments: