Thursday, July 07, 2005

in the midst of chaos

It's a strange and chaotic day in London today. Having been out late last night, I dawdled in getting ready this morning and didn't leave the house until 9am. When I got to the station, I was a little disgruntled to see a security alert had shut down Liverpool Street and Bank which meant that I had to get a mainline train into work today.

It wasn't until I got into the lift at the office that I realised that something was happening. I overheard someone talking about a bomb going off outside. Alarmed, I hurried into the office to find everyone watching the news. About 5 minutes later, the whole of the London Underground had been shut down. For some reason, the news networks were blaming so-called power-surges for explosions going round the city but they couldn't explain the bus explosions that way....
The mobile phone networks have been swamped all morning, I have had calls and messages from people who I don't usually hear from, who have all been watching the news unfold with some alarm. In the office, everyone permanently has the bbc news website open and TVs have been turned up so that we can all listen to what is happening. We have had corporate messages over the tannoy telling us to remain in the building and the security downstairs is the tightest I have ever seen in two years here. The streets outside are quiet, there are no buses and hardly any people. It's pretty much business as usual though, what is there to do though apart from carry on as normal?

It's strange though, how life can deal unexpected events like this. I slept peacefully last night, little did I know that today was going to be like this. It gives you a new perspective on the way you should live your life. Anything could have happened this morning - any small shift in events could have meant that I may have never made it safely into the office. I'm glad I did :)

I was supposed to go to an Amy Winehouse concert tonight at the Tower of London. Think I might be giving that a miss. Especially since my friend has the tickets and he can't get into London...

No comments: