Monday, June 08, 2009

New beginning

It seems like an absolute age since my last post - in the time since I have been all the way around the world in the holiday of an absolute lifetime.

In the dark depressing days of a cold English winter, with a painful recovering back injury and doom and gloom every day on the news, it was a struggle to even get up in the morning.

It is currently 9.45am and I have been awake since 8.30am pondering whether to drag myself out from under my comforting Norwegian duvet. It's been a long weekend - with much time spent in the kitchen magicking baked goods out of flour, eggs and sugar. Today I might take a well deserved break since the kitchen is about to be renovated, and besides, it will take an army to demolish the amount of cake I have made.

And so it seems that I am slightly in stasis, which is why I am typing random thoughts into this blogging window.


***

It is strange how life just continues, this ever-running cycle, this clock that never stops. On that cold January morning 6 months ago, I left the house for a round the world trip and felt as if the clock had temporarily stopped here. It really feels like that when you are far away from home - and it can really surprise you when you get little news reports that tell you otherwise. Like, so and so has had a baby. So and so has gotten married. So and so have emigrated to South America. It's like you almost expect other people's lives to stop because you aren't there. Is that egotistical? This subconscious idea that you are the centre - the axis around which everyone's lives revolves? On the other hand - to an extent it's kind of true. Whilst you, in holiday mode are filling your days with activities, everyone else is getting on with their daily routines. Jobs, school, weekends sleeping in. Same thing, day in, day out. You call home: Hi mum, I've just been white water rafting/wandering through an active volcano/feeding kangaroos and she says: that's nice. we're planting some strawberries. Nothing has happened. We're all fine. How's the weather?

Now that I'm back, the clock appears to be ticking again. Monday,Tuesdays, family time. Friday is bin day. Wednesday everyone is at the cinema. And just like that, my life has slotted back into this little box marked 'domestic life', and the other box, the colourful one marked 'adventure' has been filed away as a distant memory.
I'm not sad of course, all good things must come to an end in order for a new beginning. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: